Friday, December 26, 2008

Recent Narnia Movies

I have watched both of the Chronicles of Narnia movies. They are both, in my opinion, disappointing. They have none of the charm of the books, and have invented a lot of unnecessary action.

Of course, my kids love them, but my youngest daughter asks me, "Do you think that these are good movies? They have a lot of killing in them."

Yeah, Mercy. I agree. And the worst is seeing these children involved in war. It may be fantasy warfare, but it is realistic enough to make one nervous for the children in this terrible situation.

Children in war. Of course, this is done regularly around the world. Children are recruited for war in the Middle East, Africa and Latin America regularly. But this is an atrocity, and should be seen as so. It is not children's entertainment.

Is this some secret plot to prepare our children-- especially evangelical children-- to be ready to be soldiers, should the need arise? Perhaps My Chemical Romance is right:

"They're gunna clean up your looks
With all the lies and the books
To make a citizen out of you
Because they sleep with a gun
And keep an eye on you son
So they can watch all the things you do....
They gunna rip up your heads
Your inspiration to shreads:
Another cog in the murder machine
They say, 'Teenagers scare the living sh** out of me'
They could care less, as long as someone will bleed."

Can't trust the kids, so make them ready to be a part of the military to "defend what is good and right"-- right as defined by the current regime.

I'm not really saying that the Narnia movies are about that, but they certainly aren't the Christian allegory Lewis penned.

No comments: